Friday, June 1, 2012

The Epic ExperienceDay 4 & 5: When Everything You Ever Wanted Gets Under Your Bike


Team CF was asked to write about our experience for the tsEpic blog. Here is what we put together. 

Team CF:  As a new mountain biker, the sport grew in my heart like wildfire. (Speaking of, I hear tomorrows ride on Tussy’s Trail views were made epic by a recent wildfire.)
Today was so much fun! No, yesterday’s course was pure fun, with the ups and downs and smooth riding and all you had to do was keep on keepin’ on.  Today was nothing like that.  Today, riding was a battle with the rocks.  The trail was a line of rocks that were hidden underneath grass, sand, dirt and mud.  You could barely see the trail beneath your feet and when you did see it under the shrubbery, it was because there were too many rocks condensed into one area to support any sort of life form.   Today around 150 people risked their lives to cross the rocks for what?
Because of descents that left me so happy I couldn’t cheer loud enough.  At the end of one of the second descent, I was so happy I couldn’t remember why I hated my bike on the third days’ road ride.  I couldn’t be happier!  I ride with the ease of knowing my time doesn’t count.  But Chip on the other hand, rides with the pressure of having not only the team counting but if he keeps up his amazing rides, we could get loads more publicity for Team CF.  The point of Team CF is to promote healthy living for people living with Cystic Fibrosis.  Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease that mainly affects the lungs and digestive system.  The idea behind Team CF is to get people with CF out active and using their lungs.  My personal motto is ‘use it or lose it’.  So here I am, as an athlete with Cystic Fibrosis, in a 7 day stage race with athletes I’ve read about in magazines.  I’ve never been more inspired and welcomed by the people who have supported me and the entire effort of Team CF.  I am on a team motivated by their loved one’s.  It’s an experience that is inspirational down to the soul.  Being part of this effort has been awe inspiring and if I could convince everyone to join the biking community, I would.  Chip rides in with the very first group of men who are taking the Epic by storm and I have been riding in as they clear up the cones and I have never felt like a champ with my team waiting at the finish line. 
Kaitlyn, Chip, Nate, Jesse and Jack 

No comments: